PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHY INFORMATION
Corporate, editorial and individual portraits are commonly used for business and publication purposes.
What is a portrait?
Portraits are photos that make you look attractive and reveal something about your personality. They may include your head and shoulders only or they may encompass a full-length view. A portrait is less formal and more enlightening than a headshot. It should in some way tell a story of who you are. Whereas headshots are pretty straightforward, a portrait allows for artistic license through the use of dramatic light or props that could be used to tell a story about yourself.
Not all portraits are equal. A portrait for an artist is not the same as an executive portrait. I will work with you to ensure you look the part.
Why do you need a portrait?
Humans have always been drawn towards visual and graphic images. Our eye is drawn to the most noticeable pictures before reading any solid text. Once our attention has been grabbed by the visual element of the story we’ll turn our attention to the written word.
Across all your marketing, whether that’s online, in the press, via print adverts or newsletters, your visuals need to stand out. You need to distinguish yourself from your competitors in a world that is more competitive than ever.
A professional portraits will make the difference to your personal branding. It is a must have for all professionals. It is an investment that should be high for your personal branding list.
How much does a portrait photo session cost?
Please contact me for my pricing.
Who should have a portrait?
I have worked for clients in finance, banking, insurance, architecture, construction, property, law firms, as well as PR, human resources, industry, manufacturing, marketing, tech, film & TV, design and advertising agencies across South Africa.
I have produced striking personal branding for marketing, design, advertising, PR and editorial use.
Where are portraits used?
- Annual reports
- Social Profiles like LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Google+
- Résumés or CVs
- Corporate catalogues, brochures and advertising material
- internal and external company publications and websites
- Press releases and other announcements
- Marketing materials - business cards
- Articles and newspapers
- Author pages
- Online dating sites
When should you have your portrait taken?
The days of using a “selfie” as your portrait are long past. You know this. That is why you are looking for a portrait photographer.
Where will my portrait be taken?
Your portrait can be taken at my professionally equipped Johannesburg studio or on location.
What kind of portrait sessions are there?
There are different types of portrait sessions.
- The “studio style” portrait is usually shot on a seamless backdrop with no props. Popular background colour choices are white, black & storm grey.
- The "on location" portrait is usually shot in the work or chosen environment. Popular backgrounds are boardrooms, in and around the office and building and outdoors.
- It is important that whatever background is selected people should never see the background before they see you in front of it.
How to prepare for your portrait session?
Unlike headshots, portraits can be less formal and more enlightening. Having said that you could still wear something formal - suits or coats and ties for the men. Office attire or smart casuals for the women. The hairstyle of the person must also be kept and the makeup must be clean and appropriate. For the men, a clean shaven look is highly recommended. Most important is that you look the part.
What can you expect from a portrait session?
- I either use studio lighting or natural light.
- You will receive a detailed guide of how to prepare for your portrait session.
- I will guide you through the entire process, make you relaxed, to get that perfect portrait.
- I will shoot you in a number of poses to give you plenty of images to select from.
- You will receive a digital contact sheet to make your final selection from. It is a good idea to get a second opinion when you make your selection. We are so critical of ourselves.
- Your final edited images will be sent to you in high and low resolution via WeTransfer link.
- Because your portraits are important to you I archive them. Lost images can be retrieved and reprocessed for a fee.
Let me create genuine and authentic images of yourself. Images that will have a positive impact on your audience and set you apart.
If you are ready to book your portrait session contact me.
FIRST IMPRESSIONS COUNT
AT SOME POINT SOMEONE
WILL LOOK TO DO BUSINESS WITH YOU ONLINE
LET ME HELP YOU LOOK YOUR BEST
Who can help me with my brand identity?
Let Caroline Melton-Thorpe create your brand identity. She is a visual person, a lover of all things creative. Versatile and practical, she takes a hands-on approach to unlocking the creative in any given project. Caroline has a natural interest in the human psyche and creative ideation that brings the intersection of brand identity and product design together.